Creating a cohousing community is a big job!
Here’s a checklist of qualifications to look for in a cohousing consultant, a project manager or a management team:
- Knowledge and experience in managing a development of the size and scope you’re contemplating (check references, visit their existing developments – it would be very risky to hire someone who has never done this before).
- Familiarity with the municipal process for taking a project through rezoning to the building permit stage
- Ability to coordinate the work of the professional team and the general contractor
- Knowledge of how to create and manage budgets; the capacity to manage members’ investment, apply for financing, and manage the flow of money throughout the project
- Understanding of the legal structure required for development and how to transition from that to home ownership once the project is completed
- Capacity to set up an organizational structure that supports member participation, and with the experience and comfort to facilitate the group’s timely planning and appropriate decision-making throughout the process
- Good communication and organizational skills, able to be the liaison between the group and the regulatory authorities, professionals, financial institution, and general contractor.
credit: Cohousing Development Consulting
Information provided by the cohousing.ca